The National Sandwich Idea contest was held between 1956 and 1981. It was sponsored by the Wheat Flour Institute. Each year 20 sandwich recipes, created by Food Service professionals, were chosen as the top sandwich recipes from hundreds of entries.
The Guacamole Open Club Sandwich was the number #1 recipe chosen in 1964. It was created by Viola English of Dayton, OH.
The Guacamole Open Club Sandwich is a delicious concoction in which the avocado mixture (Guacamole) is served over the bacon and lettuce sandwich, open face, on Russian rye bread.
Guacamole Open Club Sandwich - 1964 #1 winner
6 slices Russian rye bread
3 cups finely shredded lettuce
3 tomatoes, thinly sliced
1 cup creamy, thick Blue cheese salad dressing
12 slices crisply cooked bacon
12 pitted ripe olives
Water cress sprigs, if desired
- Spread butter on bread and place on serving plates.
- Cover each bread slice with 1/2 cup shredded lettuce.
- Place 3 or 4 tomato slices on lettuce.
- Cover each sandwich with 1/3 cup Sandwich Mix, spreading lightly.
- Pour dressing diagonally across sandwich in both directions.
- Place 2 olives in center of each sandwich.
- Place 2 bacon strips diagonally alongside olives, one on either
- Serve, open face, with watercress sprigs, if desired.
2 cups (2 medium) finely diced ripe avocado
1/4 cup finely chopped green onion with tops
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic salt
- Mix together, avocados, green onions, lemon juice, salt, pepper and garlic salt. Let stand at room temperature for 15-minutes. Makes about 2 cups.
Makes 6 open face sandwiches.
Posted by: Antilope and shared by Ron Douglas. Writer of Americas Secret Recipes.
America's Secret Recipes
More avocado recipes, gift basket and poster.